College Algebra -- Fall 2011
MTH 130 College Algebra. 3 hrs. Polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions. Graphs, systems of equations and inequalities, sequences. (PR: Math ACT 21 or above)
- Time and Place: 6:30 - 9:20 pm Thursday at 418 Smith Hall.
- Instructor: Peter Saveliev (call me Peter)
- Office: 742D Smith Hall
- Office Hours: MW 5:00 - 6:15, T 3:30 - 4:30, or by appointment
- Office Phone: x4639
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Class Web-Page: math03.com
- Prerequisites: solid algebra skills, some knowledge of Cartesian coordinates, familiarity with basic functions
- Texts: College Algebra by Ratti and McWaters, sections: 1.1-1.7,2.1-2.9,3.1-3.6,4.1-4.5,5.1,6.1,6.2
- Computer Restrictions: graphic calculator TI-83 or TI-83+
- Goals: understanding of functions, good familiarity with major classes of functions, graphing, solving equations -- getting ready for calculus
- Quizzes: taken from the exercise sets, open book
- Grade Breakdown: TOTAL = .05×A + .55×Q + .40×F
- attendance and participation: 5%
- quizzes: 55%
- final exam: 40%
- Letter Grades: A: 90-100, B: 80-89, C: 70-79, D: 60-69, F: <60
See also Course policy.
Thursday, Dec. 8, 6:30-8:30 same room.
I will follow these old exams:
The transcribed lectures will appear here: College algebra: course.